Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Braces: Week 3 and First Appointment, July 14th 2009

Today marks my third week in braces and what makes this third week even more "exciting" was that I went in for my first ortho appointment since having braces. Yeah, I know, three weeks in and I'm already having adjustments done (I guess that's the politically correct term for tightening lol). Most people have them done every six weeks but Dino tells me that going every three weeks or so will help the process to get done faster and he gets no argument from me on that one because I want this whole thing done as much as he does so if I have to go every three weeks for the rest of the summer then so be it =].

Now, onto the appointment. The beginning was quite hairy because I really didn't know what we would be doing. He'd kind of explained it to me after I got my braces put on but by that time I'd been so out of it and the only thing I cared about was getting the hell out of the office lol. So when today came I was so freaked out by what would happen. Combine that with my aunt, who was in a bitchy mood the entire day as it was and was irritated as she was sitting with me because my appointment card said 3:00 and they didn't call me back until 3:15-3:20 and I was a wreck. I couldn't even enjoy myself when I saw Dana, one of the hygenists behind the front desk trying to get rid of her hiccups (I've always had this odd hiccup fetish lol) =[.

Thankfully, the appointment was not so hairy. Dino was actually overjoyed by how much progress was made with my teeth and liked the way that they were moving and looking, which is always a plus because if he's happy then the appointment goes well. I finally, finally, finally got a bracket on that one trouble tooth, the first one after the front tooth on the left (your right) side, the one with the huge gap that started the 4/18/08 disaster and I'm overjoyed right now because it's extremely tight and sore and that's exactly what needs to happen for it to move; I'm hoping to see some progress with it in the coming days. I also got my ligs (short for ligatures and another word for O-Bands, the rubber bands that they put around your brackets and what makes the braces colorful) changed from purple to baby blue (still no clear but I'm more comfortable with the whole color-changing thing now, who cares at this point =]) because that and pink are the two light colors that make the braces less noticeable. Looking at them in the mirror on the way home, I'm not sure if that can be held true (I found this out online) because to me they look like a bright neon blue instead of baby blue but I'm sure the brightness will fade overtime after brushing my teeth a few times. I also got a new package of rubber bands because I'm beginning to run out in my other package. No wire changes as of yet (Dino bonded my new bracket on by pushing it up through the wire and gluing it on) but I think that will happen at my next appointment, if what I heard Dino tell his assistant Brittany right; that I would get a looser (yay!) wire on my bottom and possibly the top too. Also going to get some discing done on my bottom teeth, something that I did with Invisalign to get the plastic tray to fit. It's not the most pleasant process in the world but it's not deadly and it doesn't require Novocaine or anything =].

My next appointment is three weeks from Wednesday; I go the day after my 20th birthday (they offered me an appointment for the day of since it falls on a Tuesday this year but I opted out; who wants to go to the dentist on their birthday? Yuck) at 3:30 in the afternoon so now they'll be no more time constraints, another plus! =].

So that's it for now! I'll write back next Tuesday with yet another exciting entry! =]

No comments:

Post a Comment